Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • nofear
    Participant
    #36695 |

Dave and Caroline and possibly Connor and maybe even Jack riding so get your entries in for this popular course and do a PB!

JimDuffy
    Participant
    #46369 |

i am in this one too

Chris G
    Participant
    #46370 |

+1

Alistair
    Participant
    #46371 |

+1

JimDuffy
    Participant
    #46372 |

We have a large field of 7 WVCC starting this.

Dave Fearon
    Carloine Fearon
    Jack Fearon
    Alistair Stanway
    Chris Gilberston
    Jim Duffy
    and new member, Neil Drummond

nofear
    Participant
    #46373 |

Fast course, hot weather and not too much wind, what more could a tester ask for!!? ๐Ÿ˜€ ๐Ÿ˜€

J5/8 at Blythe Bridge is usually a fast course but at a price as normally the prevailing wind provides a ridiculously fast outward leg followed by a very painful headwind return with a nasty climb called “The concrete mountain” with 2 miles to go. Today was quite fast out but not super fast but the return leg was bearable so as a result most people went a bit faster than usual.

We had a great turn out with 7 riders and the results were as follows:

Caroline Fearon was first on the road and she enjoyed the tailwind start but found the going tough up concrete mountain. Her finish time of 1:08:00 (22.06 mph), was however her fastest so far this season and 18 seconds quicker than she did in the same event last year.

Jack Fearon decided to dust his bike off for the second time this Year, the first being the Llanberis weekend. He came home from University in Derby yesterday and he has been out of action completely for any physical activity for about 5 weeks after dislocating his elbow whilst walking along a washing line ๐Ÿ™„ flippin’ students! He managed a 1:05:48 (22.8 mph), which he was disappointed with as his PB is a 56 but under the circumstances I think he did a very respectable ride.

Neil Drummond has enjoyed the club 10’s so much in the past 12 months that he decided to have a go on a fast course for his first ever 25 mile TT. I think he enjoyed the experience and he was drooling over the many very expensive TT bikes at the HQ as fast courses attract fast riders who tend to have great bikes. He also had a hard time up the mountain but his finish time of 1:05:29 (22.93 mph),was fantastic for a debut ride, so well done Neil.

Chris Gilbertson has been going from strength to strength this year building on his full season in 2013. As I predicted he went inside the hour for the first time ever but he didn’t just sneak under he demolished the hour with a brilliant 58:08 (25.8 mph), completely missing out the 59 minute barrier and almost doing a 57 …. really great stuff! ๐Ÿ™‚

Another man on form is Jim Duffy who is rapidly passing through the “good club rider” level and is producing some very classy performances. Jim beat the hour for the first time in September 2013 and today he skipped the 58’s and nearly made it into the 56’s with a blistering 57:09 (26.25 mph). Just think what he could do if he rode a proper fixed bike!! ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†

Alistair Stanway has been producing some fast times for a couple of seasons now but this Winter he has trained hard and in a structured way and now it is beginning to pay off as today he joined Chris and Jim with a new PB of 56:00 (26.79 mph). He was in that familiar place of being gutted and over the moon at the same time with a PB, 32 seconds quicker than his previous one but “if only I could have gone 1 second faster and done a 55”, was the first thing that came out of his mouth at the result board. Believe me Alistair you will never be satisfied whatever you do and that is what drives you to push the boundaries further. It’s an illness believe me. ๐Ÿ˜‰ If it’s a consolation you also achieved a club Senior Gold standard for 25 miles which your previous PB was just 2 seconds shy of.

I felt good today which was a relief after my awful ride in the club 10 on Wednesday. My 106″ fixed gear felt perfect and it was not too twiddly on the way out and not too heavy up the concrete mountain, but just big enough to ensure that I got the power out. I forgot my Garmin which was actually great as I do tend to get distracted by the thing normally and it was good to just concentrate on the pain in my legs for a change, trying to maintain that intensity just below my Functional Threshold Power. I finished strongly and recorded 54:22 (27.59 mph) which is a couple of seconds slower than my best ever on this fast course and my 4th fastest time ever, just 32 seconds behind my PB, set on a faster course. So I went away satisfied in my last open race before the classic Anfield 100 on Bank Holiday Monday.

It was great to see 4 WVCC riders getting well under the hour and Jim, Alistair and I were very close to the club 25 mile team record, set 2 years ago in this same event. Today I went 20 seconds faster than on that occasion and Alistair who was third counter then went 32 seconds quicker today. Nick Riding was our second counter then with a 55:45 but he has since hung his wheels up. Jim put in a great ride to be our third counter today but we fell just 30 seconds short of the record. I’m sure that this record will be updated before the season is out.

A great day out and it’s great to be part of a club with such strength in depth. BTW the winner was Scott Burns of Manchester Wheelers with a 50:18 (29.82 mph).

Cheers

Dave

Andy Wood
    Participant
    #46374 |

Awesome rides guys! Amazing!

JimDuffy
    Participant
    #46375 |

Great report Dave, I also forgot my garmin, and I agree, you do get hung up on looking at it and not just riding.
    In addition, I went over a put hole in the warm up below a motorway bridge in the darkness, this resulted in my front wheel cracking ! ๐Ÿ™ which is bloody annoying. Does any know if it is possible to repair a carbon wheel?

JimDuffy
    Participant
    JimDuffy
    Participant
    Dane
    Participant
    #46378 |

Jim, contact fibre lyte in Middlesbrough,they repaired a friends carbon frame and you wouldn’t even know it. Great guys to deal with too. http://www.fibre-lyte.co.uk/fl/fl_frame_repairs.html

Great riding all, great to hear so much TTing talent in the club.

Dave, Nick Riding is a on strava, so much be riding in some capacity, he took one of my KOMs around comberbach so must be riding OK. http://www.strava.com/athletes/1218479

JimDuffy
    Participant
    #46379 |

Cheers Dane, just spoke to them, I need to send some pictures, fingers crossed

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The forum ‘Time Trial’ is closed to new topics and replies.