Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Alistair
    Participant
    #36885 |

Good luck tomorrow folks. Looks like perfect day for it judging by the forecast. Unfortunately I won’t be starting as I have a chest infection! Gutted doesn’t cover it. I was really counting on this as one of my quickest rides this year!

Have a good ride everyone ๐Ÿ™‚

nofear
    Participant
    #47137 |

Sorry to hear that Alistair as it would have been a good end to a fast season for you. I’m sure you’ll build on this year’s success next season though. Jack is hoping for a fast ride as he’s hardly ridden this season for one reason or another. He’s borrowing my best bike as we’re riding the tandem. I’ve sorted out the gears now and put a 57 ring and 12 sprocket on’ so dropping down the concrete mountain should be fast! ๐Ÿ˜› Not looking forward to coming back up it though with 2 miles to go to the finish. ๐Ÿ˜ฅ

Ta

Dave

nofear
    Participant
    #47138 |

Well you don’t get days like that very often on a fast course and I’ve been lucky enough to have fast days 2 weeks on the trot on the A50 South of Stoke. Sorry Alistair but it was a PB fest out there today. ๐Ÿ™ 3 Fearons took part with Jack on 94″ fixed in the solo event and Caroline and I with a guaranteed win in the the tandem event subject to finishing as we were the only tandem. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jack has hardly ridden a bike all year and this was only his 3rd ride some 3 months after the last one, so he was riding on pure will-power and general none-specific fitness gleaned from his passion for slack lining. Slack lining is great for core strength and definitely keeps him fit and lean, but it does very little for the cycling specific muscles such as the quads. He made the most of the tailwind stretches but struggled on the climbs through lack of power. Despite this he was agonizingly close to beating the hour with a time of 1:00:01. ๐Ÿ˜ฎ ๐Ÿ˜ฎ Great ride Jack.

My aim today was to beat the club mens tandem record (we don’t have a recognised mixed tandem record), whereas Caroline’s aim was to get up the concrete mountain with 2 miles to go without throwing up! Fortunately my beautiful wife not only has a big heart and a good constitution (she wasn’t sick), but also a cracking pair of lungs ๐Ÿ™‚ so I had every faith in her ability to meet my target for the race.

I’ve been tinkering with our new steed and put a 57 ring on plus a 12 sprocket thus giving us a serious 128″ top gear. I also moved the ring to the middle of the triple chain-set and had a dinner-plate carbon fibre chain-guard made to bolt on to the outer ring position. This gave us a better chain line and stopped the chain from falling off after 2 chain losses in club 10’s in August.

I knew it was quick when we rode up the less steep East bound side of concrete mountain at 28 mph and this was confirmed when we dropped down the other side at 41mph, using that 128″ top gear. Frustratingly we were delayed a few seconds at McDonalds Island and then again at a red light on the pelican crossing shortly after. Despite losing about 20 seconds we passed through the 10 mile point with a 30mph average in 20:05. The return leg was better than usual but harder due to more up hill. Tandems are not good on climbs and Caroline’s wheezing up concrete mountain confirmed this. Of course I was sympathetic and when we got to the top of the climb I said, “the record is on so give it everything you have”. I could sense the tension on the back and half expected a smack around the back-side. ๐Ÿ˜†

We finished with a 53:21 which bettered the old mens record of 54:25 set by Nigel Soens and Andy Thompson on 1985. These were two fit young juniors but admittedly their ride was done on the much slower Northwich by-pass course. Ironically 53:21 is exactly the same time as Ewart Howkins mens solo record set in 1974 and James and I have both narrowly missed this record this season.

It was great to share this record with Caroline as she has given up a large part of the Summer season helping me in long events. To put this into perspective, today she beat her solo PB for this course by 14 minutes! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

The course, event and Manchester DC area record were beaten in the solo race by winner Simon Wilson of Wheelbase Altura who produced a super fast 47:43.

Thanks

Dave

nofear
    Participant
    #47139 |

……..P.S. Thanks to Jimmy for timekeeping. I’ll give you that tenner next time I see you! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Paul Harding
    Participant
    #47140 |

I was checking out Jacks rear light as we passed by. I had no problem passing him though ๐Ÿ™‚

Shame about not getting under the hour though.

JimW
    Participant
    #47141 |

Congratulations Caroline, I’m sure ou provided the real power, oh Dave, you did ok too, ๐Ÿ˜€

Chris G
    Participant
    #47142 |

Caroline & Jack…chapeau / Dave …mental ๐Ÿ˜†

JimDuffy
    Participant
    #47143 |

Top ride on the tandam ๐Ÿ˜€

Thought woody was in on this ride?

Andy Wood
    Participant
    #47144 |

Unfortunately not Jim.

JimW
    Participant
    #47145 |

Shame Woody coz you would have got in [didn’t have a full field] and you deffo would have gone under by a goodly amount ๐Ÿ™

nofear
    Participant
    #47146 |

……… especially if you’d bribed the timekeeper! ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†

JimW
    Participant
    #47147 |

I am in corruptable ( besides I was timing out! ) ๐Ÿ˜†

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The forum ‘Time Trial’ is closed to new topics and replies.