Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Andy Wood
    Participant
    #36804 |

I would be interested in knowing what data people use during a test.

I tend to use HR & cadence more than anything & the feeling of pushing hard noting my speed at certain points. I don’t use time at all.

The reason I ask is that I was thinking that average speed would be a good one. If you know you need to go over 25mph avg for a certain time, you can almost chase that.

nofear
    Participant
    #46882 |

Over the years I’ve tried time, HR and ave speed. People with power use that. For a long time I used nothing and that was best as your just focus on feel and that is the best measure and better than any of these gadgets once you get to know it. Last 2 years I’ve been using a Garmin and showing time, ave spd and HR when racing plus power when training. To be honest they are all getting on my nerves these days as they all have problems and problem no 1 is that you focus on numbers instead of racing hard.

HR is the worst as it drifts and it is different from day to day depending on how well recovered you are. I find it causes you to slow down as you are always worried about overdoing it. Power is only useful if you know how to interpret it and it fluctuates wildly depending on hills and wind etc so hard to hold a steady wattage. Average speed for most normal riders starts low as you are starting from zero and climbs rapidly, then it stabalises for a bit and then it starts to go down and can take your morale down with it if you’re not careful, especially on a long race. Time is affected by conditions so if you schedule a steady pace it varies a lot due to head / tail winds.

I rode my last 2 races, the club champs 50 and the club champs 100 with just a stopwatch and I only used that in the 50 to check that the time was correct after finishing and in the 100 also to keep track of when my feeds were due as I have a bottle on the hour and a gel on the half hour in 100’s. This was great as I had no distractions and just maintained the feel all the way around. Incidentally I queried my time at the 100 and the timekeeper checked his sheet and said it was correct. As I was organiser he gave me the check card for me to double check before sending out the official result and he had written the wrong minute so I was right and my actual time was 4:13:12 not 4:12:12. These things rarely happen but occasionally the timekeeper gets it wrong especially when several riders all finish in rapid succession.

For the 12 hour and 24 hour I’ll use time and average speed because I’m riding to a schedule to keep a lid on my speed, but if the schedule drifts significantly I’ll do my best to ignore it before it brings on severe depression. 🙁 HR is useless over big distances as it drops so much due to fatigue that it is meaningless and depressing, as it just reminds you how knackered you are.

Can’t really comment on cadence as it means nothing on fixed as it changes depending on the wind and the hills and changing cadence is just normal. Only those weird people who ride these new fangled multiple gears worry about maintaining cadence. 😆

P.S. The Garmin was in my pocket in the 100 so I could upload and analyse the data afterwards. Surprise surprise I did a more stable and even ride on Sunday than in the Anfield and this translated into a faster ride overall. Conclusion – trust your body and it will judge the correct pace without your analytical brain casting doubt due to numbers.

JimDuffy
    Participant
    #46883 |

in a 10,25 & 50, I just go for it as hard as i can, I know i will start to slow towards the end on a 50. I do agree with dave though, a garmin can be a distraction, at a recent 25 in Blyth Bridge, i forgot my garmin so had no idea how i was going and knocked over 2 mins of my previous PB. I did however find the average speed helpful on the 100 to make sure i didn’t over cook it early on.

Alistair
    Participant
    #46884 |

Time and average speed for me. Set the Garmin to record everything but set screen to display only these two, then use all the data afterwards to look at where we went wrong.

I rode my fastest ever 10 on Levens after I forgot my Garmin. I just got the first minute out of the way and then ripped it all the way to the finish. I also think that too many figures do tend to make you over think things and lose focus.

Once focus is gone and your minds not on the job…. its game over!

nofear
    Participant
    #46885 |

Use the force luke! 😆

Andy Wood
    Participant
    #46886 |

Interesting thoughts! Testing wouldn’t be testing without the data!

JimW
    Participant
    #46887 |

@nofear wrote:

Use the force luke! 😆

Seems to be that you all did your best times when you didn’t have to look and crunch the numbers on the move!

Get in the box and go as hard as you can….gather and analyse the data later if it makes you feel better,(put tape over the screen) but certainly go as hard as you can for 10 + 25, and go on feel..

When I rode my one and only 12, I took all tech off (and although not as thorough as today’s tech, it was still ok) and didn’t wear a watch, so I had know idea…it was quite an interesting distraction to ask a Marshall for the time…I still managed 244 for 3rd place…..would I have gone 2 miles further for 2nd having the data….I doubt it..
    It takes some years to ‘get the feel’ it’s part of the learning process..
    As DF says. ‘Use the force’. Have a try leaving the Garmin off (or forgetting it like, Jim and Aly)
    You won’t know till you try it,

By the way..you aren’t a ‘Tester’ you’re a Time Trialist ..!,,

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The forum ‘Time Trial’ is closed to new topics and replies.