Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Jed
    Participant
    #59997 |

Having just read posts on facebook regarding Eleanor’s performance in her race last night, I too would also like to congratulate her but unfortunately, I’m at a loss – what has she done? Kevan’s initial post suggests she’s done well but gives no other details. Other posts by group members give no more clues and the report by Jim W on this website makes no mention either. I’m a somewhat dormant club member these days but I’m still very keen to follow the exploits of my old chums. Could someone please enlighten me.
    I do miss the ‘old days’ when the WVCC forum was active and well used. Facebook is useful if you’re ‘in the loop’.

Alan Kemp
    Participant
    #60000 |

Hi Jed ,

What Kevan was saying re Eleanor in the WVCC Oulton Park race last night was that it was a great achievement for Eleanor to even finish with the bunch last night . It takes guts to ride in a constantly changing bunch . Eleanor has not raced this year , she does not do chain gangs as most racers do and so to be in at the finish of the race and as Kev says riding against ladies up to 30 years or more younger, plus in a predominantly mens field with loads of class riders is in my eyes an achievement.

I know Eleanor dashed from work arriving only just before the race and given the torrential downpour before the race would have easily forgiven for not riding . I did not even feel like riding myself last night given the potential conditions . ( I had pre entered though so wanted my moneys worth ! )

I cant think of a greater inspiration to our other lady riders than Eleanor and last night showed one of the reasons why .

Ged , Facebook is not that bad if used correctly . You could just register for the Weaver Valley page
    ( dont accept friends ) to really keep in touch with WVCC things.

I do agree we need a wider group of people submitting articles or making comments on the forum on the website AS well as WVCC Facebook page .

Regards ,
    Alan

Jed
    Participant
    #60001 |

Alan, thanks very much for your reply – much appreciated.
    I have always had a lot of respect for Eleanor’s attitude towards her cycling – very courageous and spirited. She is also a very intelligent and determined competitor. It seems that road racing is something she’s got a natural ability for so ‘well done that girl!’
    Also, well done to you last night!
    Regarding facebook, I have tried to ‘join the group’ but without success – I’ll try again.
    Thanks once again Alan.

JimDuffy
    Participant
    #60002 |

Jed, I think I share most people’s thoughts about your words of wisdom and encouragement and we all miss them, unfortunately the forum doesn’t have the same functionality as FB and there are not enough contributors. all you need is to create a FB account, join the group and you can comment on there too. Happy to help if required.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jed
    Participant
    #60004 |

Thanks very much for your comment Jim. I am signed up for facebook but seem unable to ‘join the group’. When I click on the ‘join group’ button, it just says ‘pending’ – Does it take a while to be approved?
    Thanks again.

Alan Kemp
    Participant
    #60005 |

Hi Jed , Great news that you are almost in the Weaver Valley CC Face book group .

With your permission i will add you to the Northwest cycle racing photos group run by Gordon wallace from the Graham weigh team . It is a closed group where loads of racing photos from Oulton Park and the whole of the Northwest are put and where generally people are allowed to tag , comment and have the photos for free.
    Just let me know and I will put your name forward .
    regards,
    Alan

Jed
    Participant
    #60006 |

Hi Alan, thanks for the post and I’d be grateful if you put my name forward. Unfortunately, I’m still ‘pending’ on facebook – I can’t imagine why, perhaps I’m being checked out for ‘security’! I’ll place a post on the group’s page as soon as I’m accepted. Thanks again.

ady
    Keymaster
    #60017 |

Hi Jed,

Just saw your Facebook request added you into the fray immediately.

Regarding this forum: I’m currently working on both the functionality of the forum, and it’s look and feel, so that we can make it a bit more usable and useful to the users of the site.

Because the site’s design is so dynamic, it’s a bit of a faff to get things to share the same look and feel (embedded CSS, and other odds and sods can make this a bit of fun to play with and not crash the site!)

Watch this space though, and I’ll see what I can do on the site to improve the forum and try to make it a bit more attractive, as it still has a role to play in the club’s Internet presence.

Jed
    Participant
    #60018 |

Thanks very much Ady. You have done an excellent job on the web site and I’m sure a lot goes on ‘behind the scenes’ that we’re not aware of. I think the forum lost momentum when members started using facebook and quite a few regular forum users didn’t make the move (me being one of them until now). I’m sure the more focused and intimate nature of the forum makes it suitable for posting opinions, thoughts, mini reports, advice, ideas etc. Of course, facebook can be used in a similar way but the forum has a sort of ‘cosiness’ about it which I feel encourages a more relaxed expression and often in greater depth too. For these reasons, I do feel it’s worth promoting – it just needs some interesting posts to get people reading and contributing.
    Thanks again Ady.

JimDuffy
    Participant
    #60023 |

I think it’s fair to say, that whilst the forum appears to have become less active than it used to be, the web site blogs/ reports have become much more active as they are the first thing you now see on the website, thanks to the great work from Ady. This also keeps the website live and current, the reports and blogs etc are much easier on the eye, the down side is, unless the post is linked to the forum, no one can comment, which used to cover a lot of the forum traffic. I hope that makes sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jed
    Participant
    #60025 |

It does make sense Jim. The web site is now excellent and your point about the positioning, variety and frequency of reports is spot on. I still feel the forum has a place though – it’s the ‘conversations’ I miss. I used to enjoy the exchanges between you and Jim from DHR !

Eleanor
    Participant
    #60049 |

Hi Jed and everyone, just to reinforce the points made about the forum, I’ve only just spotted this thread! And then it’s taken me some time to work out how to reply.
    Jed and Alan, thanks for your kind comments. I know it sounds daft to take pride in just entering and finishing a race, when I made absolutely no impact on the race and my entire ambition was just not to get dropped….but I am indeed proud, mainly because it did take some resolve to get myself to the start line, and secondly because I was so chuffed I finished. The adrenalin kick is incredible, I just wish I could try and do better and hats off to the women riders who are more competitive, but I think at my age and given how little cycling I do, it makes sense to have realistic goals , I.e. just to finish in the bunch! Women’s road cycling is an odd thing, if you’re not an elite or a young, ambitious rider there’s not much going on, so you’ve just got to make the most of what opportunities there are, which generally involves riding with blokes, hey ho. Anyway I just want to encourage everyone in the club to consider racing, its just such good fun.

Jed
    Participant
    #60050 |

Thanks for replying to this thread Eleanor. You should be pleased with yourself!
    Your example will certainly inspire others to give road racing some serious thought so ‘good on you’.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The forum ‘Road Racing’ is closed to new topics and replies.