Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • nofear
    Participant
    #34787 |

Managed to get a cancellation for Friday 1st October 8 – 10pm, so please let me know if you will be attending so I can check numbers.

Thanks

Dave

tthew
    Participant
    #37598 |

I’ll be looking to make the 3 dates you’ve published so far Dave, and no doubt the ‘Prestwich Ringer’ will turn up too.

Presumably there’ll be reminder e-mails nearer the time?

M Hornby.

Chris G
    Participant
    #37599 |

Hi Dave,

Myself, Matt and Tom would like to attend all 3 dates.

Cheers, Chris Gilbertson

Andrew Risk
    Participant
    #37600 |

Dave,

count James, Katherine and me in for all three sessions.

Cheers,

Andrew.

Kevin C
    Participant
    #37601 |

Dave

I’ll put the three dates in my calendar. See you on the 1st October.

Thanks

Jules
    Participant
    #37602 |

I’ll be really interested to have a go on the track. Put me down for the three dates so far.

I’ve not done anything on the track before. Do I need to book a bike? Also what pedals do they use?

Jules
    Participant
    #37603 |

Just relised I’ll be in Turkey on the 1st October. Fancy forgetting that 😆

Put me down for the other dates. Thanks

Andy Wood
    Participant
    #37604 |

Hi Dave,

Count me in, I’ll put me name down for all 3.

WinsfordDave
    Participant
    #37605 |

am I still ok to put my name down for the track nights – at least the first 2, possibly the 3rd. Also do we need to book bikes separately or will you need sizes before each session?
    Dave

tthew
    Participant
    #37606 |

Terry has just sent round an e-mail advertising a world record breaking attempt at the Velodrome the same day. It’s using bikes to power generators, so I assume it will be on the center sports area and not affect us, but might be worth checking Dave?

nofear
    Participant
    #37607 |

Hi Jules,

Sorry for the very very late reply. You can book a hire bike just by ringing the velodrome reception on 0161 223 2244. Please ring no later than the day before as the get the hire bikes out for the day each morning. Bike hire costs 10 pounds and if you want to hire shoes you can get them on the night for 4 pounds. The pedals on the bikes are Look Deltas if you want to use your own shoes.

I’ll check out the watt bike record attempt to make sure it won’t effect our session.

Eleanor
    Participant
    #37608 |

Hi Dave sounds good, Kev and I hope to be there if it’s still on…

Claire.O
    #37609 |

Our track night co-incides with this.Maybe some riders would like to stay on afterwards and have a go themselves? It sounds like we might have a bigger audience than usual!

Soreen is attempting to break a Guinness World Record in order to raise over £10,000 for charity!

The world record attempt is to be held at the Manchester Velodrome, over a 24 hour period, from 5pm on Friday 1st October to Saturday 2nd October at 5pm.

Soreen and an army of volunteers want to smash the existing world record for the most amount of electricity generated in a 24 hour period, by pedalling static bicycles. Electricity is to be measured in watt hours.

For each watt hour of electricity produced, Soreen will donate 5p to local cancer charity; The Christie. Soreen hope to raise over £10,000!

Soreen need as much help from the public as possible – the greater the pedal power the more pennies we produce for a great cause!

Volunteers are signing up for as many 30 minute cycling slots as they can manage, via the online registration form, which can be found at http://www.soreen.com/squidgyenergy

All participants will receive a goody bag and if the attempt is successful, record breakers will receive an official Guinness World Record certificate. The top three cyclists who generate the most amount of electricity will also win prizes which include a top-of-the-range bicycle worth £500. All record breakers will also be entered into a free prize draw to win a holiday for four people.

Children’s face painting and entertainment will be provided throughout the duration of the event, as well as lots of free Soreen products to keep you energised.

Soreen will also be offering the top cycling club who produces the most energy an entire year’s sponsorship deal which will include cycling shirts, velodrome sessions and a year’s supply of Soreen!

Paul Tripp, Managing Director of Soreen states; “The team at Soreen are thrilled at the prospect of smashing an official Guinness World Record and raising a lot of money for a cause we are extremely passionate about. We want to make this a real community effort and urge all of our local Soreen consumers to join us, in what is set to be a great event.”

Be a part of setting a new world record, raise money for charity and most of all, have fun!
    (All cyclists must be over 16 years of age).

bennjones
    Participant
    #37610 |

Hi Dave,

Would love to have a go on the track, is this session suitable for an absolute novice?

i.e never been on track or ridden a fixie!

Let me know if that is ok so I can arrange bike hire.

Thanks in advance

Benn

nofear
    Participant
    #37611 |

There is a lot of interest this year for the track nights which is great. Just a few pointers for any novice track riders as follows:

Our club sessions are ideal for novice riders as the coach splits the riders into two groups, one for the experienced riders and the other for novices or experienced track riders who want an easier session.

The coach (Paul) explains the do’s and don’ts before you get on the track and then new riders start off by riding singularly around the cote d’azur (flat bit at the bottom of the track). As you gain confidence you move up on to the slightly banked straights and very soon most people have enough confidence to ride the black line about 8 inches up the track. Once you have achieved this, moving higher up the track is easy as the gradient is the same all the way up.

Believe me when I say that the banking looks far worse from the spectators perspective than it does when you are actually riding it. I have seen 20 stone one legged grannies who haven’t ridden a bike for 40 years ride and enjoy the track so I can guarantee that whatever your age or level of fitness you will have a great experience (I have been known to exaggerate occasionally).

You don’t have to let me know before hand if you want to come, just turn up. It just helps me get a feel for numbers before hand if you do let me know and if numbers are looking low I can draft in people from other clubs so we don’t make a loss on the track hire. Please however ring the velodrome on 0161 223 2244 to reserve a hire bike no later than the day before, or I get grief from them as they put out the bikes for the day in the morning.

Get to the track about 20 minutes before we start so you can sign on / sort yourself out. Park at the back of the velodrome (over the canal bridge and turn first right). Reception is round the back and when you come in pay for the hire bike(s) and if you need them you can hire shoes with Look Delta cleats or you can use trainers as the hire bikes have removable toe clips / straps. They provide helmets free if you don’t have one and helmets with peaks are not allowed on the track.

Hope to see you down there.

Dave

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

The forum ‘Track Events/Sessions’ is closed to new topics and replies.