Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • nofear
    Participant
    #35207 |

The National 12 hour proved to be a bit of an epic yesterday with several big hitters out for the win. All of the top riders passed me at some stage during the race, with the various detours and then the finishing circuit mixing the field up good and proper. This is the great thing about a twelve hour, as there is a definite camaraderie between the riders as you all suffer the endles pain together. It’s a tortoise and hare race as many start slow but end up catching the fast men who flew past them earlier in the race.

I think some of the contenders mistakenly thought it was a 12 mile race as they started like mad men. I went through 25 miles in a respectable 1:03 and 2 miles later I was caught by a guy for 8 minutes! The leg to Battlefield lived up to it’s name as it was very hilly and I had to dig deep to keep my 93″ fixed gear rolling, but on one of the many climbs I nearly re-caught twice BBAR Nik Bowdler who was grappling with his 70 tooth chainring giving him 108″ bottom gear!! He had just caught me for 5 minutes. 10 miles later at the 60 mile point Andy Wilkinson caught him for 10 minutes so Bowdler packed.

Andy Wilkinson’s arch rival Andy Bason was on fire, starting ridiculously fast (25 miles in 54 minutes) and keeping it going all the way to the end. At one point on the finishing circuit I was doing a respectable 23 miles per hour (tail wind) and he passed me churning a massive gear and doing about 30MPH.

Conditions were pretty good but there was a tough headwind on one 6 mile leg that was covered 3 times. Andy Wilkinson also packed before 100 miles, complaining about a bad back. Andy Bason went on to beat Wilko’s competition record by about 0.5 mile doing 302.75 miles only to discover that the same afternoon, Jeff Jones had done 305 miles in the CC Breckland 12 hour. Derek Parkinson was 2nd with 298.97 and reigning BBAR Julian Jenkinson took bronze with 296.41. Local star Neil Skelern did a fantastic PB 286.36 for 4th place and Ex Pro and current Team Sky Director Sportif, Sean Yates was 5th with 281.11 miles for his first ever 12 hour. Riding the back of the only tandem in the race was the famous Olympic gold medalist rower, James Cracknell who did a very respectable 281 miles.

I was well chuffed to beat my longest standing PB which was set at 247 miles, 28 years ago when I was 19 years old. I recorded 251.34 miles for 16th place taking me over the magic 250 mark and also gaining the only club Gold standard that has so far eluded me ( I don’t coubnt the 24 hour standard as even I am not stupid enough yet to ride one of those).

It would be great if we could enter a team in this event next Year. If you’re interested just let me know as people of all abilities can ride. The last placed rider this year did 166 miles but the oldest rider was was 73 and there were 4 riders over 70. The oldest guy, Arthur Puckrin did 204.9 miles!! The winner incidentally is also a veteran as he is 41 years old.

Alistair
    Participant
    #39153 |

Thats a fantastic ride Dave. Told you you would PB 😉 Bet your really chuffed with that.

A great weekend all round for the Fearon team on the back of Jack and Carolines great performances in the 25 the day before.

Well done!

AdyJapp
    Keymaster
    #39154 |

Well done Dave! I’m very impressed by the mileage and placing in such company.

Andy Wood
    Participant
    #39155 |

Amazing ride, incredible stats, well done Dave! Congrats on the gold! 😀

Alan Kemp
    Participant
    #39156 |

Congratulations on your ride in the “12” Dave, excellent performance. In fact well done on all your rides this year.I think Jack must be bringing out the best in you and vice versa.

nofear
    Participant
    #39157 |

Thanks Alan and I hear that you have been winning all season as usual. Dave told me about your impressive rides in Belgium last week. He said people were saying, “which is the guy who rode the Peace Race”? Your reputation as a hard rider obviously travels. Unfortunately it also paints a big target on your back!!

Ta

Dave

PaulL
    Participant
    #39158 |

Fantastic ride Dave, I know how tough that event can be having ridden it in 1998 and 1999. I think that’s probably the finest 12 hour performance by a WVCC member for many years. My knowledge only extends back to 1997 when I joined the club but since then the best results I’m aware of are Chris Mullin in 1997 or 1998 on the Cheshire/Shropshire course did a 249-250 miles. Then I supported him on the North Lancs 12 (a slightly flatter and faster course) where he managed 252 miles. Bravo!

johnk
    Participant
    #39159 |

Well done Dave, hugely impressive. I’m tinking i may give a 12 a go next year.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The forum ‘Time Trial results’ is closed to new topics and replies.