Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Dane
    Participant
    #35991 |

Please use this thread to discuss Hilly and Mountain Time Trials this season.

If anyone ‘enjoyed’ the club hillclimb over the Cat and Fiddle last year, maybe you would like to try some Mountain Time Trials (where you get to test your descending skills too (and max cadence if your on a fixed, Dave).

There are a good few in easy reach from the northwest and are mostly March to May, so you can capitalise on your fitness gained from the Llanberis weekend!!

It would be great to get some Weavers out and there is defiantly a good chance of finishing high in the team prize stakes.

I have entered 2 so far, with the Buxton Mountain Time Trial being a ‘must do’ event in my eyes. It was brutal last year, with 3metres of snow at the side of the road and a headwind up the climb. See my Youtube film for proof!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9O19CaCOgKg

The other one is a ‘Hilly’ 10 miler on the Moors in Yorks.

They are available to enter on the CTT website.

If you need more info, reply on here or Facebook or email me danewalker(at)hotmail.co.uk

Dane

WinsfordDave
    Participant
    #43150 |

there are 1 or 2 in the Lancashire area round Pendle Hill etc and then there’s the classic Circuit of the Dales (50 miles) run by Nelson Wheelers – look for L courses and a few will come up

nofear
    Participant
    #43151 |

Hi Dane,

Yes the mountain time trials are great fun (maybe fun is the wrong word) and I used to ride several every year for early season training. For many years I rode them on gears before I saw the light, but then one day my mate Steve Morris bet me that I wouldn’t ride the Buxton Mountain Time Trial on fixed so the year after I did it for a laugh. The story is on http://www.fixedwheel.co.uk and I wrote the story about 20 years ago. After that I rode the Buxton on fixed for a few years and also the longer and harder Adorior Mountain Time Trial (now defunct which is a great pity because that was a superb course doing a complete circuit of Kinder Scout) and the Classic Circuit of the Dales 50 mile Mountain Time Trial, all on fixed.

Even I don’t claim that riding fixed in these events is an advantage, but it is great training and a real challenge. One year I made top 15 in the Buxton on my 72″ fixed and I also came quite high up in the results in the Circuit of the Dales. I did well when the wind was hard against on the decents so the big gear merchants couldn’t get the big gear moving quickly downhill and I could usually climb just as well as the geared riders.

The Buxton event is a different course these days but it is just as hard as ever & the Circuit of the Dales is also still going. You should give this one a go as it’s the best of all the mountain time trials. It is organized by Nelson Wheelers and is on 7th April on L503 near Settle.

Cheers

Dave

Dane
    Participant
    #43152 |

Just read through your report on the Buxton MTT on a fixed gear, absolutely epic!

I will have a look at the Circuit of the Dales, a friend rode it last year and really enjoyed it. 50 miles is a long way on those roads!

I’m def riding Buxton again this year, entered it online.

Cheers
    Dane

Dane
    Participant
    #43153 |

I’ve just entered the Circuit of the Dales. Sent my cheque off, but just realised it can be entered online.

Anyone joining me?

You know you want to, 50 miles in the hills, whats not to like!?

Kevin C
    Participant
    #43154 |

For a very challenging and interesting Mountain Time Trial on roads you never ride on, check out the Tyneside Vagabonds Mountain TT. Held over a 40 mile circuit in Northumberland and always attracting a top class field. Past winners incluse Andy Wilkinson, Richard Handley to name but a few

This year, 2013, its being held on the 19th May. Thinking about doing it myself… If nothing else, check out their Club web site, its brilliant!!

http://www.tynevags.org.uk/

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘Time Trial’ is closed to new topics and replies.