Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Alan Kemp
    Participant
    #59528 |

After 11 days in Majorca convincing everybody including myself that I would not ride the only race I have entered this year and so not worried about the huge quantity of deserts i consumed at the Playa Mar hotel , I found myself on the start line at 10 am this morning at the LVRC Derek Smith memorial race at the Norland circuit near Halifax. A rest day after Majorca followed by a surprisingly good 2 hour training ride made me think I should perhaps race and see what happens.
    Only 40 plus miles over 9 bumpy laps , if I can drag myself up Sa Colabra , the Puig Major, Selva gorge and the Orient then I can manage 2 hours of suffering.
    A very fast first lap followed by a long line out chasing Steve Jolley on lap 2 saw a split just as he was caught. 9 of us sped away and despite attacks particularly from Reg Haigh , 5 of us approached the very tough uphill finish. Joey Williams started the sprint very early, his team mate Jolley responded with the other 3 following. Closing onto Jolleys wheel I stuck the gear up to go past just as he kicked again . My legs buckled behind him as he raised his arms in victory several minutes in front of a depleted bunch. Very pleased and surprised with 2nd place but first in my category. Really enjoyed meeting up with the racing lads again and getting involved in the race.

1st Steve Jolley e cat
    2nd A. Kemp f cat
    3rd Joey Williams e
    4th Reg Haigh f
    5th John Galway e
    6th Dave Scargill e

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

The forum ‘Road Racing’ is closed to new topics and replies.