Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Alistair
    Participant
    #37097 |

No ride for me today. I’ve got the flu and had it all week. Not having a lot of luck lately! Good luck today everyone and lets keep hold of that team trophy! 🙂

Hopefully see you at next weeks Stone 25 health permitting.

JimDuffy
    Participant
    #47761 |

Rubbish. Hope you are better soon mate

nofear
    Participant
    #47762 |

I’ve not posted any TT write up’s for a few weeks despite the fact that several of us have been racing. This is supposed to be a quiet year for me after a heavy season in 2014, so not exactly bubbling with enthusiasm but still enjoying the racing all the same. So far Caroline and I have been mainly riding 10’s but yesterday was the first local 50 of the year and it was great to see 4 WVCC entrants including 50 mile novice Iain Young. Last year we won the team award so no pressure!

As you can see from the previous post on this thread Alistair wasn’t well so unfortunately he didn’t start. It was therefore crucial that the 3 remaining riders did good rides if we were to stand any chance of winning the team again. The morning wind all but blew itself out by the time the event commenced so things were looking promising. Iain was the first to ride and his big mileage clearly paid off as he did one of the most stunning debut 50’s I’ve ever seen with a ride that would have been amazing on a fast course never mind bumpy old Cheshire. He stopped the clock at 2:02:12 (24.55 mph) taking 19th overall. The quality of the field was very high so his position would normally have been much higher as this was an excellent ride on a far from easy day.

Jim Duffy has also been showing really good early season form so I expected him to fly today and he too didn’t disappoint. Frustratingly for Iain Jim did a Cheshire PB by a huge margin and pipped Iain by 10 seconds with a 2:02:02 (24.58 mph) for 17th place overall. A few months back Jim would have been beaming like a Cheshire cat but he’s getting used to being fast now so it was just business as usual for Joe cool. 😉

So with 2 fast rides like that surely we could retain our team title and maybe even challenge the club record. Well as always it’s never as straight forward as that and unfortunately I confess that yet again I had another eventful ride….. 😳

It all started so well. I was relaxed & started steady but soon got into a good rhythm, feeling good at 10 miles. I decided to ride with no Garmin so I could judge the effort on feel as my lack of training may end up with a slow finish so I didn’t really want to watch the numbers dropping as the rot painfully set in later on. 😥 Turning on to the A50 the wind was slightly behind and my pace felt good as I ate up the miles of this bit of road that I’ve ridden soooooo many times before. I noticed that the Mangoletsi flags were at 90 degrees to the road which is unusual so there would be no fast stretches today with mostly cross winds on the 2 long sides of the course. The road goes downhill at this point and generally I hit around 30mph on this section and just at the bottom of the hill it happened. 😮 😮 😮

There was a loud crunch and my backside was suddenly rapidly dropping towards the top tube. Due to the lack of a freewheel I couldn’t stop pedalling but somehow I managed to stop the fall and control the bike, bearing in mind that I was holding the tri-bars so the bars were snaking all over the place. I then had to furiously back pedal to stop as the brake lever was on the main handlebar. I came to a halt and still didn’t really know what had happened, but I was in one piece. My saddle was dangling off the top of the extended seat tube as the seat clamp had snapped clean in two. I gingerly pedalled out of the saddle for the next 3 miles, back to the HQ at Cranage. Upon arrival at the HQ the organiser immediately mocked me for not carrying on as he pointed out that in 1969 Mick Potts won the event with a 1:55:59 and he broke his seat pin with several miles to go and finished the event out of the saddle. I now have a new hero, but I bet he never started a 50 with his feet gaffer taped to the pedals! 😛

So I let the side down but I live to fight another day and the boys are pinging so I’m sure we will get another chance. I just need to do some training now so as not to let the side down again. The legend that is Andy Wilkinson won with a 1:48:43 beating event record holder Simon Bridge by just 5 seconds. Wilko is however 10 years older than Bridgy, not that a small thing like age would slow him down anyway.
    Ta
    Dave

JimDuffy
    Participant
    #47763 |

Great report, think you got more miles out of the story than the bike, lol.

Alistair
    Participant
    #47764 |

Great rides there fellas. Hard luck Dave but like you say, the most important thing is you are OK.

Wish I’d been out there sounds like it wasn’t a bad day.

Andy Wood
    Participant
    #47765 |

Great times everyone, congrats!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The forum ‘Time Trial’ is closed to new topics and replies.