Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • nofear
    Participant
    #36697 |

First Cheshire 50 of the year and I’ll be the only Fearon in it. Classic 50 on the same course as the club champs in June so give it a go.

JimDuffy
    Participant
    #46380 |

i may do this one

JimDuffy
    Participant
    #46381 |

@JimDuffy wrote:

i may do this one

I have now entered this one ๐Ÿ˜ฏ ๐Ÿ˜ฎ ๐Ÿ˜•

nofear
    Participant
    #46382 |

Mad fool!

JimDuffy
    Participant
    #46383 |

@nofear wrote:

Mad fool!

i know, but will be a long long time before i am as mad a fool as you ๐Ÿ˜†

Chris G
    Participant
    #46384 |

+1

nofear
    Participant
    #46385 |

Jim and Chris – No pressure but looking at that start sheet for the 50 tomorrow, if we don’t win the team prize we want our arses kicking. There are a few clubs with 2 good riders but no third or a slow third rider. The way you two are going we should get this one so get your finger out. The Duks 50 is a classic event with a lot of history that goes back to 1928 so it’s one of the oldest 50’s in the country. The fastest team gets a small cash prize but more importantly it gets its name on a very old shield and an invite to their annual dinner to pick it up. So stay of the pop tonight Jim and go to bed early.

JimDuffy
    Participant
    #46386 |

@nofear wrote:

Jim and Chris – No pressure but looking at that start sheet for the 50 tomorrow, if we don’t win the team prize we want our arses kicking. There are a few clubs with 2 good riders but no third or a slow third rider. The way you two are going we should get this one so get your finger out. The Duks 50 is a classic event with a lot of history that goes back to 1928 so it’s one of the oldest 50’s in the country. The fastest team gets a small cash prize but more importantly it gets its name on a very old shield and an invite to their annual dinner to pick it up. So stay of the pop tonight Jim and go to bed early.

Like you said Dave, Bo pressure!!!
    BTW, just come in from frodsham and read this ! ๐Ÿ˜• ๐Ÿ™„

Chris G
    Participant
    #46387 |

You could have given me a bit more notice Dave! Tonight.. I’ve been mostly practicing the 100 mile TT fueling advice I gave to Alastair last night… ๐Ÿ˜†

Jed
    Participant
    #46388 |

I’m looking forward to hearing how you all got on at Dukinfield.

nofear
    Participant
    #46389 |

The Duks is the first 50 of the Year so it often suffers from poor weather and today was one of those days. The wind was very strong and blustery and we experienced several showers making the roads a bit slippery so caution was required on the corners.

There were quite a few DNS’s as people were clearly put off by the conditions but the 3 WVCC riders toughed out the weather. Jim Duffy had a baptism of fire in his first ever 50 and posted an excellent 2:12:34 (22.63 mph ave) giving him 22nd overall. Jim said he found it very tough on the A50 as the headwind was wicked along there. Nice ride Jim you’ll stuff that on a better day.

On form Chris Gilbertson did yet another PB with a stunning 2:06:56 (23.63 mph ave) and 17th overall. This placing doesn’t do this ride justice as a 2:06 on Cheshire even on a good day is very impressive. Chris will beat 2 hours before the season is out.

I spent quite some time deciding what gear to ride today because of the conditions but in the end my favourite 100″ gear (59 x 16) felt about right. I was pedalling but not spinning with the tail wind but it was mostly cross wind today apart from the very hard headwind on the A50. I got several soakings on laps 1 and 3 of the 3 lap circuit but it wasn’t cold due to the effort. In all the years I’ve been racing on this circuit I can’t remember such a hard headwind as it was today around Mangoletsi’s. I went through 25 miles in 57:58 but you cover the A50 stretch twice in the second half so the 2nd 25 was always going to be slower. I kept the power on to the end thanks to the many long base rides completed so far this Year, but frustratingly my final time was over 2 hours which is slow for me on this course. Considering the day though I am reasonably satisfied with my 2:00:29 (24.9 mph ave) and 8th overall. Winner as usual by over 5 minutes was Simon Bridge with a ridiculous 1:48:08!!!!!!

To finish on a very high note my prediction came true and we won the fastest team of 3 riders which is quite an honour for this very old classic event. We win free tickets to the Duks annual Dinner to collect the very large and impressive shield, so that’s nice. It’s great to see the club winning team awards and Jim for one certainly won’t forget his first ever 50.

Cheers

Dave

NickB
    Participant
    #46390 |

Brilliant – well done all of you! Some impressive times on such a tough day. We found it hard enough off road in the Ceriog Valley, I’m just about to put up a report. Winner of the 50, Simon Bridge won Race 2 in last Tuesday night’s TLI series. No wonder he went away on his own with that sort of speed.

Andy Wood
    Participant
    #46391 |

Awesome rides boys well done!

Jed
    Participant
    #46392 |

Well done chaps.

Rich M
    Participant
    #46393 |

3 great rides there. Very impressive and the standard in the club is improving significantly.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

The forum ‘Time Trial’ is closed to new topics and replies.