Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Alan Kemp
    Participant
    #36720 |

Rode and won the Derek Smith Memorial road race on the Norland circuit near Ripponden .
    46 miles , 10 laps of 4.6 miles .

The local area is really gearing up for the Tour de France with many local shops hoisting yellow bike frames above their premises and in such a lovely area the atmosphere will be fabulous when the BIG race does arrive !

The rain stopped as we started the old man`s race , the sun came out which was nice, especially as I had 4 layers on and a woolly hat and could not get any of them off !

Bridging across with Mick Day from Bradford ( LVRC Crit Champion ) to a group to form a break of 6 riders on the first lap, we worked as well as we could together but Mick was just that bit stronger ,keeping the pressure on as my lungs were on the point of exploding !

Had thought I might get 3rd at best today judging by how the break were shaping but decided to focus and think more positively as it was just possible Mick Day might puncture or fall off !

Break reduced to 3 riders with 3 laps to go then at 2 to go Mick Day attacked through the finish and I thought it was all over as the other rider did not respond either although after a few seconds recovery I just gave it everything in a big gear to catch him which left the 2 of us until Alistair Cameron clawed his way back . A repeat of this with 2 miles left left myself and Mick Day to contest the uphill finish .

Last time I rode here was 1989 during another comeback when I rode a counting event for the British Cycling Veterans National Series called the Peter Fryer Trophy Series .

Andy Wood
    Participant
    #46487 |

Ace! Great report Kempy, sounds like a tough win that one!

TonyB
    Participant
    #46488 |

Great stuff Alan! a fine win to top a fine day! for Weaver Valley CC

Tony

kris
    Participant
    #46489 |

Fantastic result Alan! Sounds like a battle all the way. Another win notched up!!

Jed
    Participant
    #46490 |

Well done Alan

AdyJapp
    Keymaster
    #46491 |

There is absolutely no slowing you down is there? Fantastic job. Well done (again)!!!! 😀

JimDuffy
    Participant
    #46492 |

Are you sure you broke your ribs?! i think you are playing with the bookies to get your odds up. 😆

Top Ride Al

NickB
    Participant
    #46493 |

Great ride Alan, well done

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The forum ‘Road Racing’ is closed to new topics and replies.