Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • nofear
    Participant
    #35698 |

Some of you may know that a new 250m indoor velodrome had been approved for Derby. However the Conservative council lost their seat at the last election and the new labour council announced that it would re-consider the plan. Good news as the coucil announced last week that they will push ahead and the main contract has been awarded. Construction starts in the Autumn and it will be finished by Summer 2014.

WVCC members will have 2 world class indoor velodromes and 3 outdoor velodromes within a 1 hour drive. Manchester, London, Newport, Glasgow and Derby will all be international standard 250m indoor venues, plus the old Wembley six-day track in a hanger in Calshot near Southampton. Just to put this into perspective, the USA has just one indoor 250m velodrome and even France only has three 250m indoor velodromes but they do top the World table with 125 velodromes in total to our total of less than 25.

Cheshire doesn’t have a single velodrome which is a pity because Lyme Road Club has a very healthy youth membership mainly because they have Newcastle track right on their doorstep. Chester are building a new indoor velodrome, but before you get too excited it’s Chester County in Philadelphia and this will be only the second indoor velodrome in the whole of the USA!

Cheers

Dave

Jules
    Participant
    #41550 |

Dave,

There is also a new 400m outdoor velodrome opening near Knowsley shortly. Was marshalling with someone from one of the Liverpool clubs last week and it’s there new base. BMW track in the middle as well.

Andy Wood
    Participant
    #41551 |

Great news Dave, well worth checking out the Knowsley one.

Will you be running a trip to the Olympic velodrome in the future by the way? Be a great weekend away, if we get the numbers we could maybe get a coach down and combine it with a ride up Box Hill too? Roooad triippp!

les1
    Participant
    #41552 |

Bring on any velodrome for me ๐Ÿ™‚ I love it just need a little time to recover ๐Ÿ™ keep looking at my track bike and feeling sad, but hey, we had three weavers down the track a few Wednesdays ago and we had a few comments that the weavers were taking over haha

nofear
    Participant
    #41553 |

Hi Jules….you mean BMX not BMW. The track is in Huyton near Knowsley and you don’t get any BMW’s around there as they get nicked! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Jules
    Participant
    #41554 |

@nofear wrote:

Hi Jules….you mean BMX not BMW. The track is in Huyton near Knowsley and you don’t get any BMW’s around there as they get nicked! ๐Ÿ˜‰

๐Ÿ˜€ BMX LOL

karl
    Participant
    #41555 |

looks like I may be relocating to Derby at som point, so a Velodrome would be great..

I’ll have to retrieve my 20 year old Dave Marsh track bike from the loft, although I would think the tubs nay need replacing. Then again, they may be worth a fortune as antiques/ perfectly “aged”..

I’d like to get back on the track at some point… used to love the Newcastle Thursday nighters with a chippy visit after with the Green family… great days !

nofear
    Participant
    #41556 |

Hi Karl,

Yes I remember the chippy visits with the Greens and believe it or not the chippy is still there and it hasn’t changed at all after 25 years or so. We go most Thursdays to ride the track league and many of the old faces are still there. However Paul Swinnerton and Chris Pyatt who used to win the track league, now organize it and coach the younger riders.

You should come down and give it a go, it’s great fun and completely different to riding Manchester as it’s longer and the wind makes a difference to the racing tactics.

By the way, our Jack is a Uni in Derby and Derek Huffadine is going there later this year to start a Uni course, so it sounds like a WVCC Derby section could be on the cards.

Cheers

Dave

karl
    Participant
    #41557 |

Dave,

i’d love to pay a visit when I get the bike sorted and get a bit fitter. chippy was awesome as well ๐Ÿ˜€

When i’m over at Derby, I ride with the Derby Mercury, so getting my climbing legs back… not much choice when I spend my time living at Hulland Ward ๐Ÿ˜• not very flat around there…

Apparently, the lads went out last week and did 110 miles and 9000ft of climbing…. shame I missed that one (NOT !!!) ๐Ÿ˜ฏ ๐Ÿ˜ฏ ๐Ÿ˜ฏ . They did say afterwards that it was a bit of a one-off …

Would be great to have a track to visit …

If Jack is over one weekend give me a shout, I may be out as well… They have a good website to visit to suss things out…

hope to be a “trackie” again soon….

regards, karl

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The forum ‘Track Events/Sessions’ is closed to new topics and replies.