Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Dane
    Participant
    #36124 |

I am down to ride this race on Sunday 21/04/13, in the 3/4 starting at 9:30 in Wincham. Kris Z will be riding too and will be hoping for me to set him up on the last climb like I did in the WVCC Autumn RR 😉

Its going to be my first road race of the season, and not been felling too well for the last few weeks, so would be great to see some friendly faces on the course!

Although you will do well to spot me hiding in the wheels!! 🙂

Andy Wood
    Participant
    #43650 |

I’ll be down lad, gonna watch the ladies afterwards too!

kris
    Participant
    #43651 |

I’ll be there, keeping you company in the peloton. I’m on marshalling duty for the ladies race afterwards too.

Dane
    Participant
    #43652 |

Nice one guys! Kris, I will be marshalling in the afternoon too, will be good to have some company 🙂

Dane
    Participant
    #43653 |

From my blog:
    Well that was a fun day out!

For me it started at 6:30 am, when I was awakened by massive hamstring cramp in bed! I thought that was it, race over, as I tried to massage the muscle back to normal.

I hobbled around debating what to do, but thought sod it I’ll just sit in and see how much my leg can take.

After a warmup, I use the term loosely, as it was very cold, the legs felt reasonable.

The race was aggressive from the off, with small moves going away and being brought back. A group of three got away with a couple of laps to go and the bunch then sat up. this suited me well, as I felt surprisingly good on the last lap.

The run in to the finish is after two climbs, each lasting around a minute, I knew that position was going to be key up to and after the last climb to have any chance of featuring in the bunch sprint. I was around 10th wheel going into the last climb and 2nd wheel when at the top, just marking any moves really, not trying to get away. I throttled off a bit and took 5th wheel going into the corner off the climb – ideal position to go into the sprint around a mile later.

The finish is around 200 m of straightish road, so I knew that I could come off the wheel and go over to the right. With 100m to go, an idiot next to me had the same idea and rode into my bars nearly causing me to crash. This ruined any chance of taking the bunch sprint for 5th place, and I came in 15th.

The same rider, from St Helens RC, was riding like an idiot all day and after I complained and others did, there wasn’t any action taken. I know there is a fine line in road sprinting, but switching line and riding into people is just dangerous!

Dane

Eleanor
    Participant
    #43654 |

Great blog Dane and well done on getting yourself into such good position, just such a shame about the guy next to you! Incidentally sorry I’ve not managed to get this to the Guardian, cos it came through too late, I send copy Sunday night, so if you’re able to get your future race reports up then that wld be great.

Jed
    Participant
    #43655 |

Well done Dane, you should be pleased with yourself.
    How did Kristian get on?

Dane
    Participant
    #43656 |

Thanks Eleanor and Jed 🙂

Kris was going really well, and led the bunch for a fair bit, but got a puncture at halfway. There was a lot of gravel on the road in places, so there were a fair few that suffered the same fate. We also helped out with marshalling the womens race, that looked like a great race too and was great to be part of the event.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The forum ‘Road Racing’ is closed to new topics and replies.