Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Andy Wood
    Participant
    #36761 |

All the best Fear!

Alistair
    Participant
    #46673 |

Dig Deep……………..Then dig deeper!!! ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

Andy Wood
    Participant
    #46674 |

And I believe Chris Gilbertson too! Go on Gilbo!!!

JimW
    Participant
    #46675 |

Good luck lads,

nofear
    Participant
    #46676 |

Thanks all for the encouragement. We were lucky as the weather was more than kind to us considering the crappy weekend. Unfortunately though we both had a hard time. Chris was an Anfield virgin and found the constantly undulating course a bit of a challenge. He managed a very respectable 2:16 first 50 but faded in second half to record a 4:40:45 which gave him 31st overall.

I made a basic schoolboy error today and rode a gear far too big for the course. I generally drop down to about 93″ for a 100 unless it’s a fast course, but forgot and rode 100″. Big mistake!!! ๐Ÿ˜ฎ I went through 25 miles in 59:45 & by 40 miles the constant undulations were starting to tell and I slowed to a 2:02 at 50 miles but the wheels were falling off. My usual cramp problems kicked in much sooner than usual at 60 miles due to mauling the big gear so I was forced to back right off. I maintained the pace from that point on and didn’t die towards the end, but my finish time of 4:15:34 was just over 10 minutes slower than my time in this event last Year. However I managed 9th overall as a few other riders also seemed to have shockers today.

I’ll be back for more next year though as this is a classic race and it’s all good training for the 24 hour. Winner was Nigel Haigh of Strategic Lions with a cracking 3:47:19 beating Mark Turbull by 6 minutes and the third man by a massive 14 minutes. It was a well deserved win for a really decent bloke. He will forever be in my good books as he was the bloke who lent me the gaffer tape last year when I forgot my cycling shoes! ๐Ÿ˜†

Ta

Dave

Andy Wood
    Participant
    #46677 |

3.47 for a 100 miles!!!! Holy moley!! Great efforts guys!

Chris G
    Participant
    #46678 |

Excellent ride Dave with the higher gear on that course. Surprised me how lumpy and rough it was in places. Harder than the club champs 100 course?

Thanks for the words of encouragement chaps ๐Ÿ™‚ Any of you got any tips / ideas on how to ride a 100? cos I haven’t ๐Ÿ˜†

The strategy was 27min, 10mile TT pace, average, aiming for a 4:30. So quicker earlier, with the inevitable drift later on.

Problem is you need to eat & drink in a 100, which is were it goes pear shaped for me.

Food plan for the ride was :
    1 x 750cc SIS + 500cc of water with a High5 zero to start with.
    3 x zipvit gels in the pocket, 1 per 25 miles.
    Top tube tribag with 2 x Torq bars cut in half / jelly babies / roasted salted almonds, for as and when.
    1 bottle of plain water at the 58 mile feed, 1 bottle of High5 caffeine at the 75 mile feed.

It went fairly well until around 35miles, gel at 25 miles, half a Torq, half a bottle of the SIS, but from then on a feeling of impending vomit!! which was off and on for the rest of the ride, but still knowing you need to eat and drink something.

splits:
    25m 1:04:55
    50m 2:13:58
    75m 3:26:47
    100m 4:40:44

cheers, Chris

NickB
    Participant
    #46679 |

Well done Dave and Chris – rather you than me! At least it was a better day, we got soaked Saturday. Experience will help on deciding what nutrition to take Chris. It’s a question finding out (by trial and error) what works for you. One man’s roast almonds are another’s gaffer tape. Sounds to me like you might be coming round to gears Dave.

JimDuffy
    Participant
    #46680 |

Great ride guys, not sure yr selling the club champs 100 to me though ! Lol

nofear
    Participant
    #46681 |

Sounds to me like you might be coming round to gears Dave.

No thanks Nik I like to travel light, I just need to make sure that I have the correct gear next time. I could have stopped and swapped wheels or even bikes as I had a car full of spares, but I thought I preferred a slow agonsing death just to toughen me up for the 24 hour. ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†

Jim – Stop being soft and get that entry in for the M&DTTA 100. I’ll keep pestering you until it arrives on my doormat!!

Chris – I’m not one to talk about feeding after last years 12 hour fiasco but I do occasionally learn by my mistakes and I think you replicated my 12 hour mistakes in this 100. By my calcs your carb intake was as follows:

2 x Torq bars – 64g of carbs (43 of glucose & 21 of fructose)
    3 x zipvit gels – 153g of carbs
    jelly babies (assuming 16) – 84g of carbs
    Almonds – 0g of carbs but a bit of protein
    750ml SIS – 54g of carbs
    750ml of High 5 – 44g of carbs (29 of glucose & 15 of fructose)

Total carbs = 399g

The high 5 and the torq bars are a mixture of 2:1 glucose / Fructose so the 36g of fructose can be added to your maximum possible absorption rate of glucose which at 60g per hour, as fructose adds another 30g per hour of absorbed cars when used in this ratio. Therefore in 4 hours and 40 minutes with this diet you could have absorbed 4.66 x 60g = 280g of glucose. Add in the fructose and that’s a total absorption rate of 316g.

399g – 316g = 83 grammes of glucose that cannot be absorbed during the race = potential for vomit! ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†

Despite problems with my legs I actually got my feeding right and didn’t feel even the slightest bit queezy but more importantly never got the bonk either. I had 2000ml of High 5 (no caffeine), with a mix of 117g glucose and 59g fructose total and 4 x 55g Power bars with a 2:1 mix of 104g glucose and 52g fructose. As all my food was 2:1 glucose / fructose I could potentially absorb 4 x 90g in 4 hours of riding which is 360g without feeling sick as it would not be lying in my stomach undigested. I actually had only 332g in total compared to your 399g over a 25 minute longer period. I had no nuts as these are hard to swallow & to digest thus increasing the demands on your digestive system. Also I’ve given up with gels over 50 miles as these can make you feel sick as they are so rapidly absorbed and they demand a lot of water in the gut to aid that rapid digestion.

My weight hardly dropped after the race following a the replacement of about 2 litres of water and my guts have ben fine ever since the race so I’m happy that I got the feeding right.

Sorry to analyse things to death, but the devil is definitely in the detail with feeding. I will be having more ordinary foods and fewer energy bars and drinks in the 12 hour and 24 hour as all this artificial crap can become a problem over the very long events plus it’s boring, but for 100 I now have a plan that works and I’ll stick to it.

Ta

Dave

JimDuffy
    Participant
    #46682 |

Confused, you will be. My eyes glazed over after 2 x torq bars ๐Ÿ˜†

nofear
    Participant
    #46683 |

I’ll remind you of that when your sick as a dog in the M&DTTA 100 after your 12th mars bar. ๐Ÿ˜†

JimDuffy
    Participant
    #46684 |

@nofear wrote:

I’ll remind you of that when your sick as a dog in the M&DTTA 100 after your 12th mars bar. ๐Ÿ˜†

Ha, if I don’t enter, I won’t have that problem

Alistair
    Participant
    #46685 |

Well done guys. Sounds like a tough day! I’m beginning to wonder if Ive bitten off more than I can chew entering the M&DTTA 100 ๐Ÿ˜ฏ
    Need to come up with a plan and I felt pretty cooked at the end of the 50.

nofear
    Participant
    #46686 |

Al & Jim ….. stop worrying and just get on with it. 100 miles is just a warm up! ๐Ÿ˜‰

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The forum ‘Time Trial’ is closed to new topics and replies.