Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • kris
    Participant
    #35331 |

I am interested in gaining my accreditation, or blue slip, over christmas.

the velodrome site says that before I can do this, I have to do a ‘taster’ session. This seems a bit of a waste of money given that I went with the club and got comfortable on the track quite quickly.
    Is there any way I can prove my progression so I can make a start on the accreditation course without having to waste time and money on a taster session?

Cheers.

Kris.

nofear
    Participant
    #39482 |

Hi Kris,

Sorry to bring bad news just before Christmas, but there is no short cut to accreditation at the velodrome. Also you need to do more than just one taster session to achieve it. The track does not recognize any previous experience in club sessions.

Check with the people at the track, but I’m pretty sure that these days you have to book a 1 hour taster session and then you book a taster improver session at a later date. If the coach is happy with your progress you then book a skills session which involves doing all sorts of things that we didn’t do in our club session like; riding in a chian, lumps and bumps, etc. If you are OK in this session you can then book for accreditation. You are watched by the coaches (including one riding on the track) and if they are happy you get your accrediatation one week later.

Bear in mind also that the Winter is the busiest time for the track so you can’t always get on these sessions quickly. It could take one month or more to complete the whole process.

Everybody has to go through this no matter what your expereince or who you know. For example Mandy Bishop (used to be Jones) is a former World road race champion and also a multi-national road, time trail and track champion. She’s one of the best female riders this country has ever produced. A few years back she decided to have a go on the track just to get fit and enjoy riding. As she had never ridden Manchester before, because it wasn’t built when she was World champion, she had to go through the accreditation process.

Just get on with it is my advice and once it’s done you can book on most of the training sessions available throughout the Year.

Cheers

Dave

kris
    Participant
    #39483 |

haha, nice anecdote.

I just thought I’d chance my luck. I suppose the taster is important – safety is paramount. I just got it into my head that the ‘taster’ session would be a bit like the ‘taster’ session for snowboarding at Chill factor where they basically get you to stand on the board, push you about 10 yards, say “wasn’t that fun” and then charge you £30 for the pleasure.

phil
    Participant
    #39484 |

when dylan did he”s we had to wait bout 3 weeks between sessions due to high numbers, think we went about 4 times at 2 hrs a time

Eleanor
    Participant
    #39485 |

Dave I liked your Mandy Jones story…I have one too. I was riding at the track on a Friday vets session and for once there was another girl riding. We were in the shower afterwards and the conversation went like this:
    E: Hello there, did you enjoy the session?
    Girl: yes it was great wasn’t it
    E: So do you do much riding then?
    Girl: Yes a bit
    E (ever persistent): What sort of riding do you do?
    Girl: Not much nowadays but I used to take it quite seriously (note the “quite”!)
    E: Oh, yes , did you race then?
    Girl: Well I did a bit
    E: Did you ever win anything?
    Girl: Well I did win one race…
    E: What was that then?
    Girl: Well actually it was the Road World Championships, but I was lucky, I rode off the front and they let me go…
    At which you can imagine I was just a tad impressed, asked her name, went home and checked her out on Google!
    So, how many of you lot can say you’ve had a shower with a world champion?! And such a modest one at that…

Andy Wood
    Participant
    #39486 |

😆 great story and so typically you Eleanor!

kris
    Participant
    #39487 |

I met bob carolgees once.

Andy Wood
    Participant
    #39488 |

At his candle shop in Frodsham?

Jules
    Participant
    #39489 |

I fixed his phone line. And I saw Spit the dog 😆

kris
    Participant
    #39490 |

Booked in Tuesday 27th December for my taster lesson…

nofear
    Participant
    #39491 |

Hi Eleanor,

Your story was much more interesting than mine and could be the start of a whole new thread.

Many years ago I was caught in a shower with Mandy’s husband, former Milk Race yellow jersey Nigel Bishop (scandal!!). However it was all very innocent as we were riding a two up time trial together at the time and it was a rain shower.

Incidentally Mandy’s dad Barry is a WVCC member and he lives on Castle. I’m sure Mandy and her sister Carol inherited all of their talents from him. Double incidentally, Barry is a big advocate of fixed wheel riding and he had mandy on a fixed bike from an early age. Her first ever race was the Altrincham Raven Medium Gear 25 on a 72″ fixed. I had to get fixed into the conversation somehow.

It really is very sad that I know these things!!

Cheers

Dave

Eleanor
    Participant
    #39492 |

Wow Dave you know so many people! I met her husband and parents because all four of them came to the vets’ sessions for two or three weeks. Then they stopped coming and soon after I got a job, so haven’t been since other than the odd session. I had no idea that her husband was a big rider too, nor that her dad was in WVCC. I think they run a bike shop somewhere don’t they… And I saw Mandy at our women’s road race, I think she coaches some youngsters…
    As for your fixed obsession, I think you should see someone about it…

nofear
    Participant
    #39493 |

Surosa cycles in Oldham. If you know anybody good for my obsession I’ll see if I can get it fixed….Doh there it goes again!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The forum ‘Track Events/Sessions’ is closed to new topics and replies.