Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 69 total)
  • Dane
    Participant
    #35913 |

Hello,

Me and a few friends are thinking of riding this 200 km Audax for training. We are going to ride as a group, not killing each other, but steady pace. Would be great to have some WVCC team mates out! The route is fairly flat I think.

It could be a good way to get a few miles in before Llanberis (I only had 1 ride on the road last year before Llanberis).

Details are at http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/13-33/

A Mere Two Hundred

201km cycling event starting from Cheadle, Stockport. Controls at DelaMERE and Prees Heath, plus 4 information controls.

Start at Cheadle Village Hall (handy for M60 junction 3) with pay and display parking, tea and toilets. Cafes at Delamere, Prees Heath. Soup and tea at finish. No entries on the line. Tel 0161 947 9700

Distance:201 kmDate:Sunday 27th January 2013Time:08:00Starting from:Cheadle , StockportFee: £5.00Closing date:Entries should arrive at least 2 weeks before the event.

Derek .H
    Participant
    #42660 |

I usually control at Delamere station for this event.
    It would be good to see some blue and gold go through. If 200k is too much there is a 150k (100 mile) event on the same day A Mere Century.

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/13-503/

If you want a hilly short warm up there is the Hopey New Year event

http://www.aukweb.net/events/detail/13-610/

I usually ride this. Have even done it in a blizzard! As the blog said “screw loose”. It sticks to A and B roads that are salted.

Or you can join Jim and I on our next perm adventure

Dane
    Participant
    #42661 |

Fantastic Derek,

Never ridden anything like this before, looking to get some solid steady miles in the bank.

The one on the 5th Jan looks great too, I’ll have a look at that one. Anyone else interested?

JimDuffy
    Participant
    #42662 |

Dane

I would be interested in doing one of these rides, not bothered which, happy to go with the flow.

What do you call a steady pace?? 🙄

Dane
    Participant
    #42663 |

Hi Jim,

It would be great to have you out with us.

In my opinion it is pushing a bit whilst on the front and a little harder than ‘easy’ when following a wheel. Depending on conditions it could be 18-20 ish mph. Stronger people, or those who want a harder workout can spend longer on the front, and ‘sitting in’ is not frowned upon. The objectives are to keep the group moving well, without hammering it up hills etc and to keep the group together.

JimDuffy
    Participant
    #42664 |

The question is, will hanging on the back wheel be frowned upon. 😀

Would probably be ok at 18 mph. if I am really struggling with the pace, I will be happy to go alone

Dane
    Participant
    #42665 |

Not at all Jim, hanging on the back will be fine!

Dane

Derek .H
    Participant
    #42666 |

For info

The range of speeds for the 200 is 15-30kph. The controls open and close at specified times. Arrive too soon and you wait for the control to open, too late and I am afraid you fail the challenge. However, as you can see from the range of speeds, if you ride at a steady pace there is time for a decent cafe stop, or 2 and any mechanicals you have.

Andy Wood
    Participant
    #42667 |

Derek I might give this a go and see what all the fuss is about, not with lance Armstrong and Bradley wiggins here though. Am I right in saying there are no signage and what not? How do you get from A to B and folk not cheat?

Derek .H
    Participant
    #42668 |

Jim got you worried?

You are given a route sheet -( this is the shortest route you can take) and a brevet card.
    Controls are of 3 types. 1. manned – your brevet card will be initialled or stamped. 2 Information controls – you answer a question, on your card, at a particular place usually a junction with something obvious. 3. You get a receipt from a shop, cafe or atm. These verify you have passed through a given place. This should eliminate anyone “cheating”.

Any more queries just ask the Yoda of Audax

JimDuffy
    Participant
    #42669 |

I am more concerned who woody thinks is lance Armstrong? 😆

Derek .H
    Participant
    #42670 |

Just entered Hopey New Year 104k plus 1750m of climbing.

For info

Mere 200 route sheet available at

http://www.highergrangefarm.fsnet.co.uk/PeakAudax/mer2C.htm

Andy Wood
    Participant
    #42671 |

Hmmm ok so I need to follow a map, could be interesting.

Derek .H
    Participant
    #42672 |

I know this ride and the route sheet is gin clear – however if you were to miss a turn then …. You get better value for your money riding more miles for the £. I don’t usually carry a map for events out of Cheadle because routes are so good but going somewhere new it is sensible . Or, a modern gent like yourself, may opt for the IT equivalent of a map ……a fangled gps. 😆

phil
    Participant
    #42673 |

think i may give this ago 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 69 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.