Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • JimDuffy
    Participant
    #36636 |

I have entered this one

nofear
    Participant
    #46082 |

Caroline and I will be riding this plus maybe Connor. This is the district champs BTW and you need to ride this event, the M&DTTA 50 and the M&DTTA 100 to qualify for the M&DTTA Middle distance championship for 2014.

Andy Wood
    Participant
    #46083 |

Might be in on this one!

JimDuffy
    Participant
    #46084 |

Looks like the young whipper snappers are leaving it to us veterans this week, a good turnout will see 8 WVCC taking part
    C Gilbertson (V)
    J Duffy (V)
    A Stanway (V)
    D Fearon (V)
    C Fearon (LV)
    A Shuttleworth (V)

In addition, Dame Sarah Storey & Katie Archibald are taking part, a nice warm up for the chehire classic

Andy Wood
    Participant
    #46085 |

I hope you don’t do the accounts for your company Jim as there is only 6 on that list!

JimDuffy
    Participant
    #46086 |

Fingers like thumbs!

Andy Wood
    Participant
    #46087 |

I forgot to get my entry in on this, left the forms on the printer & forgot!

Eleanor
    Participant
    #46088 |

It’s called creative accounting Woody!

JimDuffy
    Participant
    #46089 |

@woody wrote:

I forgot to get my entry in on this, left the forms on the printer & forgot!

I hope the company you work for doesn’t really on you remembering anything 😉

nofear
    Participant
    #46090 |

Following the still warm conditions of yesterday it was of course cool and windy today! 😥 However not too windy and the temperature proved to be fine for racing once you started. There was once again a very healthy field of 117 riders for this event which is the Manchester Area 25 mile championships. Weaver Valley had a good entry of 6 riders and there were some close times within our team.

Caroline Fearon was as usual our only female entrant which is such a pity as we have more ladies than most clubs. Despite a hard wind down lumpy bumpy Twemlow Lane she managed to do her 3rd fastest ever ride on this local course which she has ridden many times before. Her time of 1:10:54 was just 17 seconds behind her best on here and I’m sure that she will break the 1:10 barrier on here before long. There were several star names in the ladies field today and 4 of them beat the hour which I think has never happened before on the slow Cheshire courses. Katie Archibold was fastest with a storming 57:00 followed shortly by Paralympic legend and new mum Dame Sarah Storey who did an equally impressive 57:22. We should see these 2 creating some havoc in the Cheshire Classic next weekend based on this form.

Alan Shuttleworth pipped Caroline riding one of his fixed bikes today and beating her by 4 seconds to record a 1:10:50. Alan has a great collection of classic bikes and trikes and in fact I bought my Reg Harris track bike off him. He is equally at home on fixed, gears, trike or tandem / tandem trike. He is a popular and well known face in the time trial game as he has enjoyed riding them for many years.

It’s great to see our riders knocking on the door of a sub-hour ride on Cheshire as this is not an easy thing to do, but today 3 of our riders indicated fine form and I’m sure there is much more to come. Jim Duffy is finding his legs now after a steady start to the season and today’s 1:01:38 was pretty impressive and I’m pretty sure by far his best on a Cheshire course. Nice one Jim! 😉

Even quicker was Alistair Stanway who is steadily improving each week and today he rode without his rear disc to see how his current power is fairing, using his powerhub. Power proved to be good as he put out a 1:00:52. Chris Gilbertson improved yet again after his 1:01:59 PB last week on this same course, he slashed another chunk off with a super fast 1:00:33 which gave him 42nd place overall in the championship. With the current talent pool we have in time trialing we should be able to field some great teams in this years Warrington RC 4-up on June 19th.

I was the remaining Weaver Valley competitor and today I stayed on the same 106″ fixed gear I used last Saturday on Etwall. This was probably slightly too big for the course and the conditions and no doubt cost me some time on Twemlow Lane, but I am deliberately over gearing on the local courses early season, to improve my leg strength for bigger objectives later in the year. Having said that it didn’t slow me down too much as I was mostly on top of it and maintaining the same pressure for the duration with no dips in form. I started 4 minutes behind Alistair today and with about 2 miles to go he was clearly on my radar but I had to squeeze out every last drop of energy to catch him just a few yards from the line so 4 mins and a slender 1 second separated us at the finish! 😮 😮 My time of 56:51 was very satisfying as it was only my second ever sub- 57 minute 25 on Cheshire and beat my previous Cheshire best by 6 seconds, set the last time I rode this course back in September but on a much better day on that occasion. I managed 16th place overall in the championship so a satisfying ride as 25 is not really my distance as looking forward to the longer races.

The area champion once again was local fast man Simon Bridge of Manchester Wheelers with a scorching 52:48, beating teammate Scott Burns by 69 seconds. I can’t believe the standard of racing this season as more and more people are now riding at a level that was once achieved by only a small handful of people. Training techniques are certainly largely to thank for this and it’s also good to see people mixing their racing as many more road men and women are now frequently seen in time trials. This can only be a good thing as the sport thrives and riders develop different skills and strengths.

Cheers

Dave

Andy Wood
    Participant
    #46091 |

Great rides guys! Congrats on the PBS so early on! 52 mins is ridiculous for a 25 in April!!

JimDuffy
    Participant
    #46092 |

It was indeed my best time on a a cheshire 25, by 1min 6 secs :-), an I felt I did ride slightly with myself too, hopefully I can squeeze a sub hour on Cheshire this year!

AdyJapp
    Keymaster
    #46093 |

Some images from the TT now in the gallery section of the site at: https://www.weavervalleycc.org.uk/gallery/nggallery/mdtta-19042014/mdtta-19042014

Alistair
    Participant
    #46094 |

Some great shots there Ady… Nice one! Really useful to have too.

Chris G
    Participant
    #46095 |

Excellent photographs Ady, always interesting to compare the various aero setups.

Looking very aero Alistair apart from the parachute number, Jim do that on purpose? 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

The forum ‘Time Trial’ is closed to new topics and replies.