Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Alistair
    Participant
    #36734 |

Has anyone got any tips for riding a first 100 mile TT. Looking to ride in the club champs 100 next month but concerned about fuelling and handing up of bottles etc…

Cheers,

JimDuffy
    Participant
    #46551 |

over to you Dave πŸ˜†

Andy Wood
    Participant
    #46552 |

I helped Dave out last year. United Utilities put out a drought alert once he filled all his water bottles!

Someone is asking the same question on the Timetrialling Forum http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=89619

johnk
    Participant
    #46553 |

It’s a long time since i rode any 100’s (nearly 30 years). But back then i made sure i had a very big breakfast and had a full bottle on the bike.

I know that is of no help whatsoever.

Chris G
    Participant
    #46554 |

Alasdair,

Apparently, according to the latest marginal gain, scientific, cutting edge research:

2 weeks before: stop training completely and carbo load… every day.
    The night before: over hydrate with Guinness and make sure you load up with a huge, hot curry. Go to bed really late.
    On the day: a big fry up for breakfast with extra fried bread. Get to the start as late as possible, no need to warm up… it’s 100 miles FFS!
    Support in the way of food / drinks / encouragement (for the headwind down Twemlow Lane at 85 miles) won’t be required.
    TT bikes are not recommended, or disc wheels / pointy helmets / skin suits etc…. apparently running shoes, gaffer taped to the pedals are the way to go, according to Mr Fearon.

I may or may not be riding that particular event 😈

HTH πŸ˜‰

Andy Wood
    Participant
    #46555 |

LOL!

JimW
    Participant
    #46556 |

Al, who have you got feeding you?, ideally you want two willing volunteers [one who drives and a young buck who can do the feeds]

If your bothered about catching bottles, have a practice.[ride up and down past your feeder and catch a bottle] slow down a little for your bottle, throw your empty/used bottles near the car as you pass, have your feeder ahead of the car, [dont throw your bottles over the hedge like TdF riders, just drop it near the car on the verge] have your helper look were it goes, have your helper run a little with your feed, have something savoury to eat if you fancy it, don’t have stuff wrapped so tight that you cant get into it, [if nec. get your helper to start the wrapper for you]
    if you know someone whose handy with a sewing machine, consider asking them to make a few musettes[small bags] as the TdF [you can empty at leisure and put the bag in your back pocket till the next feed, then drop it with your bottle.]

what bike are you riding ? 100 miles on a TT bike for your 1st hundred is a long way, might be better on a road bike [with tri bars if reqd =I can lend you some if you haven’t got ant clip on ones.]

Your helper has to sign on and register the car, the rule I remember was that they were only allowed to pass you once every 10 miles, however they can cut across lanes to get in front of you if nec..so dont worry about missing a bottle.. also this is less of an issue when on a circuit.

if you ride a road bike, maybe have 2 bottles, half full, one with water, one with an isotonic,carb drink.
    [your body has to get used to processing carbs from gels and drinks, so don’t worry if you’ up chuck’ itll be time to hit the savoury button.
    eat and drink regularly, [feed every 1/2 hour] drink at least 1 bottle every 25 miles and eat every half hour or so.. the body [even when demand is high] can only process about 60g of carbs an hour, so stuffing you self will only make you feel uncomfortable and/or sick.

Go out and practice [and get used to] eating on the move.

make sure you mave a spare tube/tyre and means of inflating [gas canister or pump] it can take a long time for your helper to reach you.

so the main advice is drink plenty [early on you wont feel like it but force yourself.and eat what you fancy, [dont forget how unappetising a jam butty appears when its been in your pocket for 80 miles!] have an isotonic or a salty drink in one of your bottle or alternate to help with cramp prevention.

if its hot a bucket and sponge [with a little au d’cologne in] is very refreshing.

cant think of anything else… just ride it and enjoy.. don’t worry what you.. you can try and beat DF next year! [and Chris G did it in the 12 last year so…..]

John K advice about a big breakfast is fine but in theeds to be about 4 hours before you race TdF riders get up have breakfast then go back to bed.

also as a final tip. consider Carbo Loading.. for the 7 days before you eat only protein with minimal carbs for the first 4 days then high carb with minimal protien for the last 3 .. this has limited benefit the more times you do it and should be limited to about twice a year.
    Give me a call if you need help or advice.. DF is a good source but may be reluctant to share his secret winning formula πŸ˜†

nofear
    Participant
    #46557 |

I think Alistair would really appreciate a keen volunteer to support him, which I would have volunteered to do if it weren’t for the fact that I am measuring the course, signing it, organising the race and riding it with help from Caroline. I’m also riding the BDCA 50 the day before just to make it more interesting!

Alistair – just to scupper Chris’s attempts to nobble you I advise the following:

1 – The Week before just do a steady 1 hour ride on Tuesday and Friday but throw in 2 x 10 minute efforts at race pace. If you don’t put in these efforts you could get lethargic and mushy legs. Do no training that week other than that.
    2 – Eat normally until Thursday but Fr and Sat carb up with pasta / rice etc but don’t overdo it or you’ll feel heavy and bloated on the day. Drink plenty of water the day before.
    3 – Carbs of your choice for breakfast but again don’t overdo it as you’ve had plenty the days before and can only store a limited amount.
    4 – During race drink no more than 600ml per hour but 500 should be enough unless very hot like last year. Remember that you can’t absorb more than 1 litre per hour. Eat 60g of carbs either as gels or bars or combination. You can absorb 90g if you use these latest energy drinks / bars that mix glucose and fructose in a 2:1 ratio, plus these are kinder to your digestive system. I recommend Torq bars or Power bars.
    5 – Pace carefully or you’ll grovel in last 25 miles. Suggest backing off a bit for first 50 and if feeling good try a bit harder for second half but do’t overdo it.
    6 – If you can’t get as helper in a car there will be a self service bottle table where you can leave bottles on Twemlow Lane. I recommend a 600ml aero bottle with straw between tri- bars plus a bottle in a cage. You pass Twemlow twice so you can pick up 2 x 500ml bottles at about 23 miles and 53 miles so this should get you round. There may also be a bottle table on the finishing circuit but no guarantees as still trying to get helpers for the event. You can carry food in pockets or get a top tube bag.

If you want more advice call me or come around and I’ll show you the various bags / bottles / gadgets that I use.

Good luck and I look forward to receiving your entry along with Chris’s and Jim D’s and maybe even a few others hey Woody? πŸ˜‰

Ta

Dave

Chris G
    Participant
    #46558 |

πŸ˜† very funny Jim… au d’cologne! … u not heard of Rule 5? πŸ˜‰

nofear
    Participant
    #46559 |

Jimmy and I were obviously furiously typing at the same time and for once I was beaten on word count. Just picking up on one point raised by Jim about a refreshing bucket of water with au d’cologne …… This is for applying to the face via the aforementioned sponge and definitely not for drinking! πŸ˜‰ πŸ˜† πŸ˜† πŸ˜†

JimW
    Participant
    #46560 |

Hey, drink it if it makes yougot aster, I don’t think it’s on the UCI banned list! πŸ˜† (think Lance may have tried it though! πŸ˜†

Alistair
    Participant
    #46561 |

Some great advice there chaps, although I’m not sure about the Olympic breakfast approach πŸ™‚

The au d’cologne idea sounds good….very continental!

I can see there is a lot more to it than just doing a 50 twice. The logistics do need some thought. I was out on a long training ride today at a hard pace practicing some fuelling approaches to see how the stomach reacted and it seemed to go well.

I’d like to do it on the TT bike but may adjust things slightly to give me a more upright/comfortable position. Current position is fine for distances up to 50 but as you say Jim 100 miles at race pace is a long way. I’ll think about that one.

I’m looking forward to it…. 😈 The wife thinks I’ve lost it! πŸ˜†

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The forum ‘Time Trial’ is closed to new topics and replies.